Thursday, January 21, 2010

Exponential Visitor Graph (Ebay)

I thought this was fairly entertaining...

I wrote a simple page hit counter for a couple Ebay / Craigslist listing we were doing (using Google's AppEngine, and Yahoo's YUI).

Recently I added a feature to allow it to graph visitor counts over time (basically a cheesy analytics engine).

I guess one of the items was particularly desirable (a very complete, good codition SNES system with a lot of games) because it had what I image is probably a pretty typical graph of visits to an Ebay auction:

It's pretty obvious that the spike (a huge spike) in visitors is when the auction was about to close when everyone was manically hitting reload. Just eyeballing the graph, it looks like an exponential increase.

[Source for this post in Markdown mark-up]

No comments:

Post a Comment