Saturday, March 8, 2008

Google Groups, Loosing E-Mail, GMail Marking Google Groups (DomainKey signed) Email as Spam

We decided today to 86 my choice of Google Groups as our group communication mechanism. Our group lead (Ben) posted several emails to the list about meeting times for this Saturday, none of which went through. So the meeting ended up being rather last minute (since no one knew where it was). I had problems with my GMail account thinking that the Google Groups email was spam.

Whenever I would send email from the wrong account (since the default email gmail sends mail from is not the one that's subscribed to our list) I wouldn't get any feedback from the list that said I couldn't post to list (since that email address is not a member). I happened to peruse my spam folder and found all the "you can't post to this list" emails laying there. GMail's spam classifier apparently didn't think the chain of valid domain keys (from one of Google's own domains even) was enough to prevent the mail from being spam. Needless to say Google Groups is out, hopefully a mailman list provided by the CS department's System Support Group is in.

No comments:

Post a Comment